NASA Aeronautics Research Institute is currently showcasing some of their innovative concepts developed by NASA researchers, primarily featuring work from the Seedling Phase 2 and Seedling Phase 1. One of the concepts featured in a live video stream session today was the LENR Aircraft. Below is a short summary of the talk.
- Small, Runway Independent Transport with high power to weight ratio.
- Personal aircraft or autonomous package delivery.
- Minimal Noise pollution.
- Comfortable global transport.
- Disruptive change to transportation business model.
- Global flight range of 12,500 miles.
The Challenges Identified:
- No clear model of how LENR systems will scale.
- Robust methods for energy management and dissipation are required.
- Underlying physics not yet fully understood.
- Methods for converting heat to thrust have to be formulated.
- No Mechanism for throttle and adjusting desired power levels.
Going Forward – The Next Steps To Take:
- Continue to intergrate the latest LENR research and testing results.
- Move on to Phase II.
- Refine existing propulsion and aircraft concepts.